The Symptom Series: Emotional Effect

For the last few weeks, we've gone on a bit of a journey together and I love that! We have discovered, we have learned, and I've gone into a bit of detail about my main Fibromyalgia symptoms but now I am going to finish off this series by talking about how Fibromyalgia affects me emotionally and mentally.

First of all, I wanna say that I am so grateful for my husband, family and friends who try their very best to understand what I'm going through and offer me help and support. I think that sometimes the emotional impact can be just as painful as the physical symptoms.

I think the first emotion I want to talk about is frustration and anger. Fibromyalgia can often make me feel these emotions because it often stops me from doing 'normal' tasks that I would usually do so easily. The fatigue and pain get in the way so often and this sometimes means I can't do things that I want or need to do. The fibro fog contributes to this as well, as I mentioned last week, because sometimes I just can't think straight!

Fibro often gets me quite upset as well. I'm not much of a crier but when it comes to Fibromyalgia, sometimes I just can't hold back the tears. It's an overwhelming feeling of inadequacy as you begin to realise the things you can't do the same anymore or the stamina you've lost. Things that I used to love are now very large tasks that sometimes seem completely out of reach. This isn't to say that there is no hope, but just that sometimes I forget that there is a hope being able to achieve these things once again in the future!

But amongst these negative emotions, there are also some positive ones. It is slowly but surely increasing my faith in God as I continue to pray for restoration and healing and as I believe in Him despite the circumstances I am facing. It is also teaching me more and more about why God created humans to not live individually but with others. Reliance on people like my husband is such an important part of my life now.

My physiotherapists have played a massive part in my emotional journey with Fibromyalgia as well as the physical side of this illness. Go check them out at Prestons Health! They have encouraged me to dig deeper into learning about myself and discovering the things that make me feel good and the things that really don't! I'm not finished on this journey just yet, in fact it is still the beginning right now but one thing that Fibromyalgia is teaching me is to keep going on my worst days and to celebrate every victory, no matter how small or big!

Thank you for allowing me to be open and honest about this journey, I hope you continue to read this blog to join me on my journey!

KP